Over the last years Insurance Company Pomosch together with Zabota Charity Fund have realized a social charity project to support orthodox cathedrals, temples and churches to preserve and restore the historical heritage of the country.
Each of the relics supported by us is the greatest monument of Orthodoxy and architecture with its unique history.
The Saint Martha and Mary Convent of Mercy and Love (Moscow) was founded by Grand Princess Yelizaveta Fyodorovna Romanova in 1907.
After the tragic death of her husband, the Grand Prince Sergey Alexandrovich, Yelizaveta Fyodorovna retired from social life and decided to completely devote herself to God and fellow beings.
The Main Cathedral Church was laid in May of 1908. Temple in the Name of the Mantle of Our Lady is by itself a legacy of our culture. But most important are reverend services performed by the clergy of the convent and often by the Church bishops.
Today the Saint Martha and Mary Convent lives by the Canon set by the Great Mother Yelizaveta Fyodorovna. The sisters study at the medical college at the Holy Dmitry school, work in medical organizations, bear other obedience. Same as in the times of the Great Princess, the Convent has an orphanage for girls, soup kitchen, patronage service, gymnasium and cultural and educational center.
The Holy Trinity Alexander Nevsky Lavra is a male orthodox monastery in Saint Petersburg. The first and largest monastery of the city, laid by Peter I, has had the status of lavra since 1797.
In 1918 the monastery was formally abolished, but by way of accomplished fact continued working until February 17, 1932, when in the night of February 18 all cloisterers in Leningrad were arrested.
The rebirth of monkery within the lavra walls began in 1996. Together with the rebirth of the monastery and liturgical life the rebirth of traditional crafts occurs in the Lavra. Here work: icon workshop, cabinet makers, jeweler’s workshop, Christian tin miniature workshop. The pilgrim service organizes the travels of the worshippers within the Leningrad Region and outside.
The structure of the architectural complex of the lavra includes several famous necropolises, where many outstanding leaders of XVIII-XIX centuries rest.
Church of the Martyr Catherine in Rome, «The Russian home at the banks of Tiber» is the first Russian Orthodox Church in Rome (Italy).
In the fall of 1913 the martyr Emperor Nikolay II ordered to start collecting donations over the whole Russia, and in 3 years 265 thousand of Italian Lire were collected, which were enough to build the church. However, the revolution events stopped the project from happening.
With the blessing of Patriarch Aleksiy II the foundation stone was blessed in January 2001 at the place of the future cathedral in Rome, and the construction itself started in April 2005.
In 2006 the Metropolitan of Smolensk and Kaliningrad Kirill blessed the cathedral.
Today the church as a community daily receives new members. It has organized a place for gatherings — a library, a cultural and spiritual center, where the readings and events are held, people gather and discuss essential problems.
Currently the top part of the church is being painted. The painting is an illustration of the life path of the Saint Martyr Catherine.
Alexander Nevsky Military Cathedral (Krasnodar) was laid on April 1, 1853 by the superior of Catherine Lebyazhskaya Nikolaevskaya Poustinia Archimandrite Nikon.
On October 28, 1929 the cathedral was closed, its crosses and domes were removed. An Atheism Museum was placed at the lower altar, the House of Culture at the top altar. On March 30, 1932 the Krasnodar City Council decided to demolish the building; the church was disassembled by May 1 of the same year.
In 1991 Cossacks start reappearing in Kuban. It has been decided to build a chapel at the square, where the cathedral used to be. On June 15, 2005 Patriarch Aleksiy II before a vast assembly blessed the crosses and the bell of the still building cathedral. On December 6, 2005 on the memory day of Alexander Nevsky the first service was held in the temple.
Currently the cathedral holds canonical services; the relics and regalia of the Cuban Cossack Army are also kept here.
Nicholas Naval Cathedral of the Epiphany in Saint Petersburg is a great monument of Baroque architectural style; its construction was finished in 1762.
A charity with a school, hospital, orphanage and female poorhouse was organized by the cathedral in 1870.
The cathedral became a place for the commemoration of seamen, who died during the Russian-Japanese war of 1904-1905. The memorial tablets are installed here in their memory.
After the revolution the Nicholas Naval Cathedral, same as other orthodox buildings, suffered but was not closed. During the siege it had daily morning and evening services.
Nicholas Naval Cathedral of the Epiphany is a symbol of blessing of Saint Petersburg as a city of marine fame and one of the most beautiful city cathedrals.
Saint Petersburg Cathedral in the Name of Reverend Sergius of Radonezh on Srednyaya Rogatka
The parish in the name of Reverend Sergius of Radonezh on Srednyaya Rogatka was established in 1992. At the end of 90s due to extreme need in a new, more spacious cathedral for worshippers it was decided to build a new stone cathedral on one of the islands of the Srednerogatsky Pond, the closest to the parish church in the name of Great Martyr Saint George operating since 1995; up to 250 people can be present for a service in this cathedral simultaneously. It was decided to dedicate the main and only altar of this cathedral, just as it was thought back in 1992 when creating the parish, to Reverend Sergius, Hegumen Radonezhsky and a miracle worker of all Rus. The cathedral design was created for free by Swiss architect Justus Dahindem.
On July 18, 1999 a ceremony of laying a foundation stone of the cathedral was held. On January 7, 2001, at the celebration of 2,000 years of Christ, the cathedral was blessed with a small order by Archpriest Adrian Dolzhikov in the clergy service, in the presence of the governor of Saint Petersburg V. Yakovlev. From that day the services in the cathedral have become regular.
In 2001 the temporary iconostasis of the church was replaced with a permanent five-tier one, with old Russian samples of iconostases of the cathedrals of the Trinity Lavra of St. Sergius and other relics of the Northern and Middle Rus taken as a model.
Zabota Charity Fund is a non-commercial organization created in 2004 to fulfill charity programs of Pomosh Group of Companies.
Fund main tasks:
- provision of help to citizens, children and disabled people in need;
- conduct of charity events for state and municipal health care facilities;
- assistance in lawmaking in socially significant areas, including in the area of medical insurance and health care;
- assistance in fighting against drugs and AIDS, propaganda of healthy life style, preventive measures and protection of the citizens’ health;
- assistance in protecting motherhood, childhood and fatherhood;
- improvement of moral and psychological health of the population;
- provision of feasible help when conducting recreation activities.
Address: 6 Rubinstein Street, Saint Petersburg, 191025, Russian Federation
Tel./fax:7 (812) 380-77-99/ 713-21-58
Fund Director — Alla Yuryevna Loktaeva